Saturday, July 11, 2009

Frightening

One of the reasons we went to Salina for the fourth of July was because Devyn was being blessing on the fifth. The blessing was beautiful and so was Devyn. After the blessing Michael and my Dad had lunch at the house. All the cousins were playing outside. When it came time to eat Ava didn't want too. She was intrigued with baby Savanna. Ava was sitting on the porch rocking Savanna in her car seat. Bree sat down next to them. I sat Ava's plate down next to her in case she decided to eat something. Bree started yelling "what is wrong with Ava!" I looked down and saw Ava's eyes roll back into her head. Then she closed them and stopped breathing. Her body was lifeless and she began turning blue. All three of my brothers called 911. At first we thought maybe she was choking. But when I looked in her mouth her teeth were clenched and it dawned on me that she might be having a seizure. Jeremy fell to his knees crying. He wanted to do CPR but my Dad, Danielle and I could feel a heart beat. It was absolutely awful to see her unresponsive. Sam was crying and everyone was worried. When the paramedics arrived they strapped Ava and I to a gurney and loaded us in the ambulance. They put oxygen on Ava and she was breathing but it was a grunting breathing. They would only let one of us go with her so Jer followed in the truck. They took us to Sevier Valley Hospital. Jeremy gave her a blessing as soon as he got there. I am so grateful for the priesthood. What would we ever do without it. The ER doc ran a lot of tests on Ava. He informed us that she indeed had a seizure. He told us 50% will have another one and 50% will not. He kept reassuring us that she is going to be okay. He said we probably will never be the same. It was the most frightening experience I have been through. Our children are our most priceless gifts and to think for a second they could be taken is almost hard to bear. The veil is so thin. Jeremy and I haven't been the same. We take turns every other hour at night checking on her in fear she will stop breathing. It is so hard to get that picture of her turning blue and not responding out of my head. Not that I didn't hug and squeeze my kids before but now it is a little tighter.

6 comments:

  1. Scary Chrissy! Ava is the cutest little girl:) If you need anything call me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary! I am glad she is ok...and thanks for the reminder of how precious our kids are. Let me know if you ever need anything, we are just down the street, even in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So scary! Lydia has had two seizures - one when she was 18 months that lasted for over an hour and one when she was 3. It was definitely awful. Did they know which type Ava had? Lydia's were actually different types of seizures. The first was a febrile seizure and the second was a partial complex seizure (although that one wasn't diagnosed correctly until we took her to Primary Children's neurology department.) They've never been able to find any reasons why she had them. Luckily, they haven't affected her badly at all. I hope you don't have to go through any more with Ava. She is so beautiful. Let me know if I can help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't begin to imagine how frightening that was. I'm glad she is ok. And I hope you don't have to go through it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry, what a scary thing to go through. Glad she is okay, she is such a sweet princess. Know I am thinking of you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy - How is she doing now? How are you doing? We will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete